Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Post for 5/23/06

There is a state forest near where I live now (in an undisclosed, obscure location). I decided to run in there yesterday, to make up for my lack of training equipment, but also to add some real terrain to my training.

This was exactly what my training regimen needed. Not only was it extraordinarily difficult, but it exercised groups of muscle I didn't know I had. This has lead to me being very sore today. I ran/jogged/walked for about an hour, on extremely hilly terrain. This was a great physical workout in a real (potentially zombie-ridden) environment, but it was a serious check to my ego.

I used to do this all the time when I was in high school track. However, I can't help but think that when I am being torn limb from limb I'll be going, "I used to be good in track!?!" I don't know why I assumed that this would be easy since I did it 10 years ago.

Regarding the specificity of the forest as a potential refuge from zombies:
While it is still superior to an urban, zombie-infested jungle, it may provide a false sense of security. Though there will most likely be less undead shambling around, since isolated areas tend to have less people to be converted in the first place, there are still some serious hazards to consider. There are still many places for zombies to ambush and potentially trap you. It is much less familiar terrain in many cases, which presents the potential for getting lost. Resources are less abundant. Hunting and killing food takes away valuable time from hunting and killing zombies. Finding places to rest is more difficult due to level of exposure, both to the zombie menace and the elements.

So advice of the day: Vary the terrain on which you train, at least occasionally, to prepare for disparate environments.

Second advice of the Day: Based on Slash's observations about the Day of the Dead, never, ever pass up ammo or weaponry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home