Thursday, October 12, 2006

Attitudes of violence

Does preparing for the zombie apocalypse make you a violent person? By preparing to destroy the brains of undead individuals, are you developing an insensitivity to violence?

These are some of the questions that I get asked regularly. I think this question goes hand in hand with the suggestion that video games make kids more violent and amoral. However, I can say with some authority, that I am not a violent person. I don't go out mugging people and breaking into cars, nor would I ever consider hurting someone who is not trying to cannibalize my flesh. However, I am constantly aware of my surroundings, and what can possibly be used in a situation where I need to defend myself. This is not inherently violent, rather a preventative measure.

It must be said that the act of destroying zombies is a violent one. The fact that they were once human makes it that much more confusing. However, I prefer to see the act of braining the undead menace as an act of compassion. You are both protecting the living and allowing the memory of that individual to rest. There is a huge difference between protection and seeking to create destructive violence. As long as this distinction is made in the mind of the zombie hunter, his/her morals are not in question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home