Monday, June 11, 2007

The burden of proof

One problem with being a zombie hunter in a mostly zombie-free world is that no one believes you when you try to save the world by warning everyone about the zombie menace. This is a tough burden to bear because there is no real proof of the impending threat. Oh sure, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence. Or evidence that my insinuate a zombie situation. But no hard proof. I chalk this up to some sort of over-reaching conspiracy to keep the public complacent. Regardless of the reasoning behind the lack evidence, the zombie hunter still has to convince people of the threat in spite of hard proof.

So how does one do this?
I think the best response is to lead by example. My (occasionally wavering) faith that the human race is doomed to perish by undead hands leads me to behave in a certain way. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no major drawbacks for preparing for this inevitable doom. I am physically fit (despite my potato chip indiscretions), capable of defending myself and others, and have a much more expansive knowledge of science, particularly in the field of biology. Yeah, I do get the occasional wayward glance, and mother shielding her child from my presence, but for the most part, many people are more than willing to engage in a conversation about the necropalypse. This doesn't mean that I convince everyone I talk to, but I like to think that I plant the seed for understanding the zombie threat. Maybe the person in question just dismisses me as a crazy (and I'm okay with that), but maybe on some subconscious level they start to fear the undead menace and take some of the necessary precautions (even if it is only a subconscious level). At the very least I hope that our conversation has caused the other person to be suspicious of any moaning they hear and lurching they see.

I'll put the question to anyone reading this: How do you deal with being a zombie hunter in a (mostly) zombie-less world?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey i sent you the message about this. i basically do what you do. i talked to my friend a few minutes ago and basically converted him on the spot.
thanks.

Dylan

8:22 PM  
Blogger Col. B. Bunny said...

I think I see your problem here. First take a look at Matthew 13:57-58: "But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house. And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief." (Emphasis added).

Also note what was said about the blind prophet Teresias in ancient Greece: "How terrible it is to have wisdom when it does not benefit those who have it." (Sophocles, Oedipus the King.) Cassandra, too, was given the gift of prophecy but it was her fate never to be believed.

So, mainly, it might just be hopeless what you are trying to do. "None so blind" and all that type deal.

If this isn't the root of the problem, maybe you are just uttering the tocsin in your own country, your own house. I can't even persuade my relatives to lend me money. I can't imagine, frankly, how much harder it would be to persuade them to make anti-zombie preparations, let alone persuade perfect strangers of the zombie menace.

I think it would be a lot harder.

Thanks for trying, though.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your crazy

6:56 PM  
Blogger jamie said...

dude, i know how you feel, i triead to tell one of my friends and he yelled about how i live in a fairytale and that i watched Ï Am"Legend"to many times and i have never seen that movie. Although my other friend s believe me and are doing more studying,preparing and reading up on this subject.And by the way, a zombie could also evovle from some form of rabies or bioengineered ebola. Also here is some reading material
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/hierakonpolis/zombies.html

Good luck with informing people on the zombie or zombie like threat! :)

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home